Sunday, March 16, 2014

I missed:(

Have you have been shooting? A gun? An arrow? A nerf gun? A paper at a trash can?  I am sure at some point you have aimed at something.  My question is what do you do when you missed? Do you start looking at where the paper or the arrow landed?  Most people do. They start looking at how they missed, how they messed up. That's what most of us do. We start focusing on how big of a failure we are. "Look, I aimed at that target and hit that tree. I can't believe I hit that tree. That tree is so big, that must be why I missed the can. The can is so small. Look at the tree! It's so big!"
Isn't this what we do in life? "I planned to eat good all week. I messed up! Look at the food in my kitchen (at the party). There is no way I could stay away from it."
"I planned on working out all week but look at the pile of work I had to do!"

Where is the focus? If you focus on how you messed up, that becomes your focus. If there was a a can a little way away from the big tree, and you miss and hit the tree, what becomes your focus? The tree! If the tree becomes your focus, what will you hit? The tree! 

In life if you are focusing on your failures, it becomes the tree in the yard. That tree is now the big presence that has commanded your attention. If you quit focusing on your target in the first place, then the miss becomes your target.

What does this mean? If you focus on your "failures", then that becomes your new focus. Meaning this will become your new goal. You may not want it to be your goal, but if that is what you focus on, it becomes your goal.

Do you want to keep focusing on your failures? No  you want to focus on your desires! Stop looking at how you messed up and start focusing on where you want to be and as long as you keep your target, every time you fire, you will get closer and closer. It is not a game of perfection, but of keeping your focus and practice!  Keep practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment